Thursday, October 13, 2016

Good-bye Sweet Vernie Tortoise

Hi everyone..

Today I post with a very heavy, tear filled heart..

Our littlest Hermann's Tortoise Vernald- Vernie for short (or Vernie-Kins to me<3)- passed away in the middle of the night.
The pic above is of our 3 Hermann's Tortoises. Vernie is on the far right side. Left of him is Roaman-Roam and Oggle-Oggi is on the far left.
 
{My First Tortoise post, Their DIY Enclosure & Tortoise Enclosure Tweeks
Above are links to the posts about them and their DIY enclosure, if you are interested.}
 

He had been acting very weird last night, like he was in a lot of pain.. So my husband took him to the vet (which was open until 10pm! Thank goodness!!).
Unfortunately, the vet wasn't able to do much in the way of seeing what was wrong with our sweetest little guy.
He is too little to even draw blood.
Can you imagine Not having enough blood to draw.. THAT is crazy.. He was so little..sniff sniff..
We hoped that it was a virus that medicine would help and not a major problem, but, obviously Vernie was in great pain (We could see it in his movements) and I am just glad that he isn't anymore..sniff.. and I'm kicking myself for not taking him to the vet sooner, we just wouldn't have been able to do anything for him. Poor baby.. I failed him. :(

I love all of our tortoises like crazy but Vernie held a special place in my heart because he was the "baby" of the group.
His siblings are big strapping torts that eat like you wouldn't believe and are so curious about everything. Always on the move when they aren't sleeping, haha.
Vernie was more laid back. Content to sit on our hands or cuddle in where ever he could and chill.

I never thought I could be so upset over a tortoise.
But I guess I never would have thought that they would be so....awesome and interactive with us!
I have always thought they were super neat and was thrilled when my hubby proposed that we adopt ;)
When you put your hand in to say hi (We always lay our hand down and let them decide if they want to see us) and see if they want to take a walk, and they climb right up, or try to see how your finger might taste (you've got to watch that, they are getting bigger and I am sure they can get a better hold now than 3 months ago! Ouch!) it is just too cute. They look you right in the eye as if they understand all. Funny little buggers.

I'm sorry to go on and on..
We'll miss little Vernie-kins like crazy but the one solace that I have..
He is up in heaven with my beautiful niece. I bet she always wanted a tortoise and I know she will take great care of him!
We love you Vernie and wish you could have stayed with us. Take good care of Becca-Boo, too!!

God bless everyone, I'm sorry I am such a downer today. :*(
 Tell your loved ones (Even Pets!!) that you love them every day. <3

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry Amy, Vernie stole your heart and this is so sad to read. He and Becca-Boo are taking care together, but it won't be quite the same without Vernie-Kins. Thinking of you and your family, and RR and OO too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Heidi. <3
      It is still pretty inbelievable for us.
      My 12 year old is quite upset about it and asked if he was in Heaven. So I told him that I happen to know that even though Becca-Boo couldn't tell us, I BET she always wanted a tortoise. So all of our beloved family (my dad and grandmothers, too) that have passed on is now taking care of our Vernie. I was blessed with such sweet boys. <3

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your loss. Losing a beloved family pet is terribly hard. You do indeed have such sweet boys! Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete

I truely enjoy your comments and questions and I answer every single one! =D
Though, during giveaways it gets difficult and I try to keep it easy on myself. ;)
However, if you are a no-reply blogger I can't -but I still try. =(
If your not sure, ask me, I'll help you fix it!